Monday, March 8, 2010

INTERVIEW: JEWELRY DESIGNER SUE TSAI

(Wide Gold Cuff with Leaf Imprints)

One doesn't expect too much from a young entrepreneur who has a pocket full of aspirations, determination and drive but jewelry designer Sue Tsai is about to give us a definite reality check. I'm always inspired by any woman who can sing every word of " Independent Woman" like it was a personal letter from them to Destiny's Child. I embrace everything in the name of talent and enthusiasm this is why its a pleasure to feature Jewelry Designer Sue Tsai on The Chic Report. Not only does MTV reality stars and footwear designers Vanessa and Angela Simmons love wearing her jewelry (check TEENVOGUE March 2010 issue "Style Blogger"pg 80), she's sponsors events (including Vanessa Simmons birthday party) and has been selected to participate in the Emmy gift bagging suite. Congrats! Tsai has combined her love for fashion and a handfull of tremendous talent to create an exceedingly fabulous line and will soon release an exclusive high end collection "Signature" by Sue Tsai. Her jewelry line offers pieces in a wide selection of flirty accessories everything from bands, bows, beads and crystals adds edge and exudes girlish elegance. As determined and talented as she is, Sue Tsai will undoubtedly continue flourishing in her spotlight not only as a designer but as inspiration for the up and coming young professionals. Read her interview with The Chic Report below...


These are the black bands in which first started Sue Tsai Designs and became widely popular. They come in almost every color and combination and people mix and match them to create a set of bangles. They are 14k gold filled with swarovski crystal, gold beads & charms, and have a rubber tubing over memory wire. They are flexible.



Vanessa Simmons wearing her own mixed match set of Black Bands out in LA.


This is a set called Bamboo Vermeil Bangles.

These are large crystal beaded bracelets that tie together with an oversized bow that come in 3 different color combinations.



One of a kind Rose Ring, hand-made, 14k gold and swarovski crystal with a coral cut rose


The Chic Report: Who is Sue Tsai?

The world will soon find out :)

The Chic Report: What inspired you to start your own business?
Sue Tsai: From a young age I've always been exposed to art as both of my parents are designers. Designing is something that I want to do for the rest of my life and in order to do that I have to make money doing it. I love fashion and I've always made jewelry and clothes for myself. I took the next step and want to share that with everyone else. That's why I started my line.


The Chic Report: You've worked with designers/reality stars Vanessa and Angela
Simmons, are there any other celebrities that you would like to wear
your pieces?


Sue Tsai: I really love Rihanna and Keri Hilson's style. Look out for them to be wearing the pieces soon. But I dont want only celebrities to wear my pieces, its for everybody. I wish everyone could be my personal accessory barbie and I could just decorate them from head to arm in my stuff! haha

The Chic Reporter: Did you face any hurdles while building your brand and how were you able to overcome them?

Sue Tsai: As with accomplishing anything in life, there are going to be hurdles. I feel like you don't deserve your accomplishments unless you worked hard to get there and your perseverance has been tested. Honestly, most of my hurdles have been more mental than physical. All of the finance, labor, and time hurdles I've faced are nothing to me, they're just a part of the plan. As much as I hate to say it, the worst is dealing with haters; people who cant stand to see someone else on their way to success and constantly try to bring them down. But you know what, they're not really hurdles, more like stepping stones. Gotta step on them to climb to the top. Ha

The Chic Report: True...So tell us how do you perfect your craft as a designer? For instance, did you go to school for accessory design?

Sue Tsai: I actually went to school for marketing not design. A lot of my technical skills I've picked up from my parents. I believe that design and creativity is not something that can be taught, only technicalities. I decided to study marketing because I believed that was going to be the most applicable major for my business. I had no problems designing and making the jewelry, I just had to learn how to sell it.

The Chic Report: Just by reading your tweets I see that you travel alot, what does
your working day / week look like?


Sue Tsai: I'm usually away on the weekends for trade shows. In the past 3 months I've done shows in LA, New York, Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, Sarasota, and Philadelphia. During the week I'm in the studio making new pieces or in the office shipping out orders. I think I spend more time in the air than on the ground though. You wouldn't believe my frequent flyer mileage.


The Chic Report: Without giving away too much, what other projects are you currently working on?
Sue Tsai: I just recently finished designing a jewelry line for a popular clothing line. I can't tell you which one until it comes out, so I guess you're going to have to wait and see. Rite now, I'm working on my new high end line. These pieces are all one of a kind and less commercial. I've always been making them for individual custom orders but I want to be able to sell them while keeping them exclusive. I'm really excited about this line, its called Signature by Sue Tsai and the only person who's seen the pieces are my mom haha. I'm having the launch event early May, so be on the look out.

The Chic Report: Where do you see your business Sue Tsai Designs in the next 5 years?
Sue Tsai: I'm going to take over the world. (evil laugh)


The Chic Report: Lol, So where can interested readers find out more about your business Sue Tsai Designs?
Sue Tsai: They can check out my website www.SueTsaiDesigns.com or read more about me at www.SueTsai.com. I tweet a lot so if they want to get to know me on a more personal basis they can follow me on twitter at @SueTsai (parental discretion advised ha)


The ChicReport: Congrats with the success of your line and keep up the great work.
Sue Tsai: Thank you so much, I appreciate it. Hope both of us can continue to work together on our journey to the top.


Definately... Thank You for your time!




Hope you guys enjoyed this post as much as I did...dont forget to comment!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute!

devin leiva said...

I love the jewelery I want that ring
=)
twinn-love.blogspot.com

Chantal said...

Thanks for the comments guys..
@Twinn I will check out your blog right now.

Cindy S. - FashionsBeauty said...

Great interview! Definitely be watching out for her designs!

xoxo
www.fashionsbeauty.com