Saturday, October 24, 2009

Karl Lagerfeld role model much?


Many successful people in the fashion industry are undoubtedly very mean, vein and uptight! That's no headline for breaking news. I must admit that I am relatively new to the fashion industry and already I've witness alot of snotty people walking around with their head held high, selfish with information and looks out for no one but themselves. Well I guess that's not new if our fashion master heads can hold others in stereotypical categories when it comes to industry jobs.
The rave on curvy women on the runway and on fashion pages is more than the demand. Likewise, industry jobs are dependent on who you know rather than what you've done, level of experience and interests. I'm pretty sure this statement is somewhat familiar to you:

"No one wants to see curvy women.

You've got fat mothers with their bags of chips sitting in

front of the television and saying that thin models are ugly"...

Such a BUZZ KILL right?

Karl Lagerfeld said so! Fashion designer and creative director of the fashion house Chanel. If you don't want to feature plus size models, despite the fact that represents your average customer, who you display so much contempt, for that's fine. But whoever said "curvy" woman are fat? Mr Lagerfeld I don't care who you are, what you've done, who you know, how much money you make, and who you represent but I think curves are sexy and so does a great portion of your consumer population! He sounds so much like an INSECURE gay man! That's expected though!

Another smart comment by "whats his name"...

In the Teen Vogue handbook there is a section on designers and how they accomplished their dream jobs and their advice.

Teen Vogue: "What do you look for when hiring new assistants? Do you like having interns around the atelier?"

Whats his name answered: "Mostly they are people I know their parents or through friends I can trust. I must admit I prefer more girls than boys. I like the idea of having interns around, but a fashion house is not a fashion school"...

So there you have it! if you're a rich kid who may not have any interest in the fashion industry and your parent happens to know Karl Lagerfeld then you are guaranteed an internship at the fashion house Chanel. If not then your shit is out of luck no matter how much experience you have!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to love him before the curvy comment.